Frittata with caramelised onions, peas, mint & parsley:
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 5-6 large good quality eggs
- 2 medium onions (red or white, as you prefer) or 1 large
- A large handful of frozen peas, defrosted
- A small handful of fresh mint & parsley leaves (but you could use basil, tarragon, chervil etc)
- Olive oil, and butter too if possible
- Parmesan (optional)
- Take a small frying pan and put it on a low heat, while it's warming up slice your onion
- Add a splash of oil and nob of butter to the pan throw in onions, season & cook for 10-15 mins until soft and just starting to color
- Meanwhile crack your eggs in to a bowl, give a quick forking, season and then roughly chop and mix in your herbs and then add your peas.
- When your onions are ready tip them into the egg mix bowl too and mix through one last time
- Put your frying pan back on a medium-low heat, add another small splash of oil and blob of butter (if you have) and tip in the egg mix, don't stir just make sure the heat is fairly low and leave it be to cook for about 5 or so mins.
- Preheat the grill and place a rack a 25cm or so below the heat
- Pan is ready to go under the grill when egg mix in the pan is set round the sides with pool of liquid eggyness left in middle.
- Add grating of parmesan if you have / like and place under grill until top just browns and sets, it should still be bit wobbly under the surface.
- Now turn out by placing plate over the pan and turning upside down.
- Cut into slices and serve (it should be set but nicely gooey towards the center).
- Goes well with bread and salad dressed with dijon, oil and vinegar.