Roast aubergine & courgette salad with tahini an yogurt dressing
Was in back garden when took this pic, would have looked nicer if sun had come out from behind cloud before i took, but was too hungry, so i ate it.
Ingredients (serves 2, but easy to double/ triple/quadruple for numbers):
- 1 medium aubergine
- 2 medium courgettes
- some natural yogurt - about 4 or 5 tablespoons
- a tablespoon or so of tahini
- some herbs - coriander & mint is an ideal combo here, oh and some thyme for the veggies if you have
- black onion seeds, and dried chilli flakes - optional, but desirable
- a long red mild chilli
- a lemon
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- olive oil
- a tomato or two
- preheat the oven to pretty hot (between 200 & 220 degrees C) chop you aubergine in to largish chunks (e.g one medium aubergine into 8 pieces or so), cut the courgettes slightly larger. Irregular shapes is good, but aim for roughly the same size.
- put them on a baking tray, smash 2 or 3 cloves of garlic up with pestle and mortar or blade of knife (leaving skin on is fine) and scatter over, season wit salt and pepper, drizzle with olive oil, oh and if you have them then throw some sprigs of thyme around & scatter over some dried chilli flakes.
- roast until nicely colored and cooked through - about 20-30 mins (give a shake half way through if you remember/ can be bothered).
- make dressing by mixing together yogurt, tahini, good squeeze or two of lemon juice, add salt n pepper a finely chopped/crushed clove of garlic and some chopped mint and/or coriander leaves. taste and adjust seasoning or lemon juice.
- quarter tomato and take seeds out, then roughly dice, finely chop the chilli and pick some mint &/or coriander leaves
- to serve take a platter or individual plates out the roasted veg on, spoon yogurt sauce over liberally, scatter with tomato, herbs, chopped chilli and then black onion seeds
- recommended with hot pittas alongside (and would go very well with some simple fish or grilled meat).